Buddhism began in northeastern India and is based on the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama. The religion is 2,500 years old. Here are some interesting facts about this religion.
1. Buddhists go to temple, not at a special time or day, but when they can.
2. Buddha is known as a teacher not a god.
3. Flowers and food are placed on the front of the Buddhist Statue. The flowers are to remind the person that they will not live forever.
4. Unlike most religions or spiritual beliefs, Buddha’s teachings were spread by nonviolent methods such as word of mouth or carvings on prominent stone buildings.
5. Buddha was not as chubby as many depictions of him would make it appear.
6. There are approximately 360 million Buddhists, possibly more, making Buddhism the fourth largest religion in the world.
7. Do Buddhists believe in God? Some do and some don't. Most don't believe that God interferes in any way with your life.
8. When Buddha ventured outside the palace walls he saw four sights: an old man, a sick man, a poor man, and a corpse. They disturbed Buddha and he left home to seek enlightenment through a spiritual quest.
9. There are 29 Buddhas. 28 have lived. 29th is yet to come. The most popular one that most people know is Gautama Buddha who was the 28th Buddha.
- Anne -